Jesus is greater than:
- The temple (Matthew 12:6), and by extension, the Sabbath (Matthew 12:8) – Was it lawful for Jesus to perform miracles on the Sabbath? Priests were allowed to perform the work of the temple on the Sabbath, and yet, in Jesus, “something greater than the temple is here.” Jesus the Greater Temple
- Jonah the prophet of God’s judgment (Matthew 12:41) – When Jonah delivered God’s word of judgment to the great city of Nineveh, his message literally brought the city to its knees; and yet, in Jesus, “something greater than Jonah is here.” Jesus the Greater Prophet
- Solomon the wise king (Matthew 12:42) – The Queen of Sheba was overwhelmed by the wisdom with which Solomon reigned; and yet, in Jesus, “something greater than Solomon is here.” Jesus the Greater King
- David the great king (Matthew 22:41-45) – The Jews knew that the Christ would be the Son of David; how, then, could David speak of his own descendant with these words, “The LORD said to my Lord, ‘Sit at my right hand until I put your enemies underneath your feet?'” Jesus the Sovereign of Kings
- Jacob the well-digger (John 4:12-14) – “Everyone who drinks of [Jacob’s] water will thirst again; but whoever drinks of the water that I will give him shall never thirst; but the water that I will give him will become in him a well of water springing up to eternal life.” Jesus the Fountain of Living Water
- Abraham the father of faith–and the prophets who followed– (John 8:52-58) – “Before Abraham was, I AM.” Jesus the Eternal One
- The angels, the ministers of God (Hebrews 1:3-14) – “To which of the angels did [God] ever say, ‘You are My Son, Today I have begotten You.'” Jesus the Exalted Son of God
- Moses (Hebrews 3:2-6) – Moses was faithful as a servant in God’s house; Jesus was faithful as a Son over God’s house. Jesus the Faithful Son of God
- Aaron the priest and his descendants (Hebrews 7) – “The former priests, on the one hand, existed in greater numbers because they were prevented by death from continuing, but Jesus, on the other hand, because He continues forever, holds His priesthood forever. Therefore He is able also to save forever those who draw near to God through Him, since He always lives to make intercession for them.” Jesus Eternal, Greater Priest
Jesus exceeds all of the excellencies of the Old Testament. He is holier than the holiest (the Temple, the Sabbath, and the angels), older than the oldest (Abraham), wiser than the wisest (Solomon), graver than the gravest (the message of Jonah), more faithful than the most faithful (Moses), more enduring than the most enduring (the well of Jacob and the priesthood of Aaron), and more exalted than the most exalted (David).
And even so, He tells us that the Father God is greater still (John 10:29; 14:28)! How great is our God, and how great is His Christ!